Bike Walk Week is an annual week dedicated to bicycles and walking. This year it will take place from June 2 to June 10. It’s a great opportunity to try new ways of getting around, leaving your car at home.
The organizers of Bike Walk Week are asking everyone to pledge to replace at least one car trip with cycling or walking during this week. The goal is to develop a beneficial habit of choosing active modes of transportation. Even if you already ride a bike or walk, please join anyway!
Last year over 10,000 people took the Bike Walk Week pledge, preferring bikes and walking over car trips. They gained many benefits – improved health, saved money, and a healthier environment. Join them this year at Bike Walk Week events!
Bike to Work Day
The centerpiece of Bike Walk Week is Bike to Work Day, which will take place on Friday, June 8. On this day, thousands of cyclists will commute to work to promote the bicycle as a healthy, environmentally friendly transportation choice.
Energizer stations with snacks and giveaways will be organized throughout the city for cyclists. It’s a great chance to meet like-minded people and get an energy boost before the workday.
On Sunday, June 3, several major streets in Minneapolis will be closed to motorized traffic and opened for biking, walking, rolling, and playing from 11am to 5pm.
This event will demonstrate what city streets could look like if more priority was given to people instead of cars. Residents will be able to see familiar places in a new way and spend time with family and friends.
Throughout the week, bike rodeos for kids will take place in cities across the metro area. They will provide instruction on bicycling skills and safety.
Participants may be provided with free bicycles and helmets. It’s a great way to instill a love of cycling in children.
Guided walking tours will be offered in Minneapolis, St. Paul, and other cities. The tours will highlight local architecture, gardens, public art, and historic sites.
Some tours will have themes like literary walks or spooky night hikes. A great way to see familiar places in a new way!
How to Participate
- Take the Bike Walk Week pledge to replace at least one car trip with cycling or walking during the week of June 2-10.
- Join Bike to Work Day on June 8. Visit energizer stations for snacks and giveaways.
- Check the event schedule and pick a bike rodeo, walking tour, or other event to take part in.
- Volunteer to help out at events – volunteers are needed for tasks like setting up stations, leading tours, and fitting helmets.
- Spread the word about Bike Walk Week to family, friends, coworkers, and on social media. Invite them to take the pledge and join you at events.
Let’s make this the biggest and most successful week yet! Together we can promote cycling, walking, and a healthy lifestyle.